Thought You'd Never Ask

Just mouthing off -- because I can.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Progressive politics and the United Methodist Chuch

I found this good summary and update on the United Methodist Church's political and lobbying involvement in passing Obamacare this past year and thought I would post it: UMC Facing Health Bill Fallout.

Since then I have discussed this with my pastor and declined to sign a membership pledge card for the coming year. For now I continue to attend my local UMC, and donate only to local missions, not to any official UMC membership apportionments to the national or international bodies. I regret I can't now support the good things these bodies do, but I don't know any other way to make sure that my donations do not go to support damaging leftist political agendas or the General Board of Church and Society's partisan activities. I am wondering if the UMC will soon revoke its stand on health care as a "right" or disband the out-of-control GBCS in my lifetime.

I wonder what revelations another year will bring--and if by 2012 I will still be a Methodist. At least it is encouraging to see (from the above article and comments) that I am not alone.

My previous post on this.

Health care is NOT a right.


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At Friday, December 31, 2010 6:03:00 PM, Blogger gavin richardson said…

    the GBCS will most likely go by the wayside along with many of the other agencies when the church realizes that it will be bankrupt in a few years paying out pensions and salaries that out number the giving.

    so I wouldn't give to much sleep over to GBCS. I would suggest that you can make your giving earmarked for specific purposes within your church body or missions.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home